Palace Hotel Tallinn is located in the city centre of Tallinn next to the Freedom Square, at Vabaduse väljak 3.
The hotel was opened on January 16, 1937. The architect of the hotel was Elmar Lohk.
Palace Hotel Tallinn immediately became the most exclusive hotel in Tallinn. The central location of the building, its architecture, interior design and service emphasized the superiority of the hotel and its objective to provide accommodation to the most extinguished guests of the capital. In Tallinn the building, which was completed in two years, was the only modern new building specially designed as a hotel.
In 1940, after the establishment of the Soviet rule in Estonia, the hotel was nationalized and Palace continued as a soviet hotel without losing its elite characteristic. In 1959, new wing next to the Pärnu Road was built to the hotel, with its exterior copying exactly the original facade of the hotel.
Since the restoration of the independence of Estonia, Palace celebrated a new milestone in the history of Estonian hotels – in 1988 the building underwent a thorough reconstruction, through which the hotel became the first one in Estonia to meet the European standards both in respect of its furnishings and service. The renovated hotel was reopened for guests in 1989. Hotel was operated by new company, which was the first joint-stock company, owned by Estonians and 49% by Finnish hotel companies.
The return of the Estonian Republic to the international arena marked the arrival of foreign diplomats and the appointment of Estonian diplomats to foreign embassies. The first to arrive was the Swedish Ambassador Lars Arne Grundberg on 29 August, who was followed by the German Ambassador Henning von Wistinghausen on 2 September, the Icelandic Ambassador Sigridur Snaevarr on 24 September and the Finnish Ambassador Jaakko Erik Kaurinkoski on 1 October. Most of the first ambassadors initially resided at the Hotel Palace. Later these first arrivals named themselves the Palace Club and held closely together.
The legendary Palace Hotel Tallinn was closed again in September 2013 to conduct thorough renovation works. Following the refurbishment the hotel features 79 rooms elegance and refinement and the fragments of the paintings of Konrad Mägi, which serve as the room design centerpiece.
Konrad Mägi (1878–1925) can be considered as a miracle of the Estonian art. For Mägi, the art was not an imitation, but always a self-expression, self-fulfillment and creation of a new world based on the impressions received from the outer world.
All rooms are spacious with contemporary decoration and modern technology. On the 6th floor of the hotel, facing the Freedom Square is the Presidential Suite of almost 152 square metres, which in addition to the bedroom and living room features also a private sauna, kitchen corner, office and a meeting room.
On the ground floor of the hotel is Restaurant Konrad, which offers present-day Estonian cuisine seasoned with the trends of the era under the guidance of the head chef Rene Uusmees, a conference and banquet suite Mühlberg and the Gallery Bar.
The basement of the hotel contains a Sports & Relaxation area, where the hotel guests have the opportunity to use a gym, a small swimming pool, vapour bath and a steam sauna.
The architect of the thoroughly renovated hotel is R. Valk Arhitektibüroo and the author of the interior design Vaikla Design Ltd.
Renovated Palace Hotel Tallinn re-opened its doors on June 26th, 2014.